Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Why I Write

Fascinating Quotes from Famous Authors


“I got a rejection letter from an editor at HarperCollins, who included a report from his professional reader. This report shredded my first-born novel, laughed at my phrasing, twirled my lacy pretensions around and gobbed into the seething mosh pit of my stolen clichés. As I read the report, the world became very quiet and stopped rotating. What poisoned me was the fact that the report’s criticisms were all absolutely true. The sound of my landlady digging in the garden got the world moving again. I slipped the letter into the trash…knowing I’d remember every word.” – David Mitchell
“I want to write because I have the urge to excel in one medium of translation and expression of life. I can’t be satisfied with the colossal job of merely living. Oh, no, I must order life in sonnets and sestinas and provide a verbal reflector for my 60-watt lighted head.” – Sylvia Plath
“I have advice for people who want to write. I don’t care whether they’re 5 or 500. There are three things that are important: First, if you want to write, you need to keep an honest, unpublished journal that nobody reads, nobody but you. Where you just put down what you think about life, what you think about things, what you think is fair and what you think is unfair. And second, you need to read. You can’t be a writer if you’re not a reader. It’s the great writers who teach us how to write. The third thing is to write. Just write a little bit every day. Even if it’s for only half an hour — write, write, write.” ― Madeleine L’Engle
“That’s why I write, because life never works except in retrospect. You can’t control life, at least you can control your version.” – Chuck Palahniuk
I'm happily married to my wonderful partner of eight years who’s been my rock since I had to give up full time work due to an illness. She’s supported me all the way in my venture as an author, and even though I may not be the most talented writer in the world, she always gives my books an A+. I've had many jobs in my life but nothing comes close to letting my sordid imagination flow through my fingertips and into my eBooks – I love it and hope I can continue with it for as long as possible. Aside from writing, I love to watch movies and if I'm not at my keyboard I can normally be found in the den, or out in the countryside walking our two gorgeous dogs. I feel blessed to be able to ‘work’ while enjoying myself and I hope you will enjoy reading what I write.
I intend to keep on publishing books for as long as I possibly can and I hope you will continue to read and enjoy them! As the light is against the darkness, so are you and I against The Shadow." HERE is one of the most extraordinary stories that we have read in a long while. It is sure to arouse your wonder and excitement. Such an attainment would overshadow all else in the realms of book world.
Shadow of the Torturer is the first book in an epic fantasy series that features fast-paced action, compelling characters, and a breathtaking world that will make you want to snatch up the whole series. This is not your traditional fantasy novel. Grab the first book in my next fantasy series today!
“I don’t remember deciding to become a writer. You decide to become a dentist or a postman. For me, writing is like being gay. You finally admit that this is who you are, you come out and hope that no one runs away.” – Mark Haddon
“Writing eases my suffering . . . writing is my way of reaffirming my own existence.” – Gao Xingjian
“In the big picture I write for an audience of people I’ve never met. By the final draft I’m looking for anything in the prose that’s prospectively boring to strangers.” – Lionel Shriver
“I write with a sort of grim determination to deal with things that are hidden and difficult, and this means, I think, that pleasure is out of the question. I would associate this with narcissism anyway, and I would disapprove of it.” – Colm Tóibín
“I believe there is hope for us all, even amid the suffering – and maybe even inside the suffering. And that’s why I write fiction, probably. It’s my attempt to keep that fragile strand of radical hope, to build a fire in the darkness.” – John Green
“When I sit down to write a book, I do not say to myself, ‘I am going to produce a work of art.’ I write it because there is some lie that I want to expose, some fact to which I want to draw attention, and my initial concern is to get a hearing.” – George Orwell

>